Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Keep Moving Forward.

What do I mean by keep moving forward.

Every once in a while opportunity knocks but most of the time you have to go looking for it.

PawnStars wouldn't be Pawn Stars if Rick hadn't kept trying to convince someone it would be a hit for years. He would just be a bald guy buying and selling gold. And Chumlee? There's a guy who was in the right place at the right time. I'm sure you can think of a few people who's success depends on yours.

How many burrito shops are there in your town. How did Chipotle hit the jackpot? It wasn't by stopping at one store.

If your happy being where you are then more power to you. If your not then keep moving.

At my last job I was surrounded by lots of folks just like myself. All doing the same job but all looking to move up. One day I got a job offer at a better company. Many of the folks around me asked how I got so lucky. I asked them if they were trying to get hired by the company I got hired by. They weren't.

Talk to people. Meet more people. Do more things. Even things that are totally unrelated to what you think you want.

If all you do is watch TV or surf the internet the odds are pretty good your only opportunities are spending your money. When was the last time you saw a commercial that wasn't trying to sell you something. When was the last time you saw an internet add that wasn't trying to sell you something.

All those late night TV adds promising to make you rich. How many of you bought what they were selling and are now better off because of it. I took the bait more than once. So far not one of them has made me a dime.

I now understand that in order to get something you actually have to do some work or invest real money. Not a hundred bucks or two.

About 10 years ago I met a guy who was selling dog food at a home show. It turns out he wasn't really selling dog food but looking for someone to sell his food in my town. Out of the 100 plus people who showed interest I was the only one willing to invest the 10K and do the work to build the business. Today he has 40 plus people around the Country that sell his food directly to customers deliver to their homes and businesses and I have bought two properties because of it. One that houses the business and another that a customer sold to me and now rents. That and the business, while not making me rich has supported itself for many years.

And the two properties, they have appreciated more than many people make in a few years.

There is one other common denominator in this scenario. Saving money instead of spending it so when opportunity knocks you can take advantage.

If you spend all your hard earned cash on things you think you need (want) instead of on things that you really need you will never have the money to take advantage of the few opportunities that will come along in your life.

If you are 18 or if your kid is 18 and you buy them a new car they won't learn how to work for it. If they work and buy big wheels or monster shocks and a big stereo they might never have the opportunity to invest that money in a business instead of a job. I always tell my son that he needs to learn how to produce instead of learning what the TV tells him. Being a consumer and getting something on sale that you don't needs not a good idea.

The other day he asked me if he could save his money and buy Real Estate with it. He's only 11 and he only had $50 but he's starting to get the idea. Maybe it's because he has so many Lego's now that he doesn't even open the box if he gets them for a gift.

Anyway, here is a link to a guy who explains it far better than I do.

http://livingstingy.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-royal-scam-revisited.html


No comments:

Post a Comment